05-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #29
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
So what I mean is that different cars are designed with more performance than others. Your garage description says you have an M2, which is a high performance car. I've never been in one, but I'll assume your car going 120 MPH is nothing at all for your car to handle. Compare your car to an exotic or supercar, I'd assume 120 MPH on a daily basis would be even easier on their cars. Assuming the same slower cars are sold and driven in Germany as in the US, take a Toyota Corolla with 139 HP and drive that for 120 MPH everyday and just thinking as how BMW decided against putting in a temperature gauge in the 2 series for however long and across however many models?

Even with oils these days being better, it still depends on the car and how the car operates. I remember when I had my Audi and found out that it was considered normal to burn a quart of oil every 500 or so miles. It was like an oil change was basically changing new oil?
Thanks for clarifying, now I see what you're getting at. To which I reply with the following points:

1) Every car has it's "comfortable" range of operation. The M2 will easily cruise at 240-250kph. At 268 it is near redline in 6th gear. 6600 rpm or so, and it takes longer to get there. It is not drag limited, like a lot of less powerful cars, it's rev limited. I think the DCT has an advantage here with the 7th gear, but then the electronic fuel cut off kicks in.

But this is where good oil comes into play to extend life of the engine at sustained high RPMs. I'll come back to this later.

2) My wife has a Golf station wagon here. 1.4l Turbo with the DCT. 150 hp, 168 lb-ft. It gets up to about 180 kph in decent haste. From 180 to 220 it's ehhh, and it takes a looooong time to get to 235 kph where it is drag limited. The happy range for that car is under 220 I would say. But the engine RPM at that speed is only 4500. So high load on the engine, but at lower RPM.

3) So why does good motor oil go a long way? At high load, and particularly at high RPM it will stay thick enough to lubricate all the fast moving bits, while staying thin enough to get into the tight places.

I used to have a 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0L Coyote motor. I tracked that car a lot. And I did oil analysis to make sure it was happy. And it was. With 7000 miles of city driving, and 8h of track time at sustained high load and high RPM, the oil was still 50% through it's life cycle, with expected viscosity across the temps, and with good amount of life in additive packages. That car by the way pulled HARD till about 150mph. Then is started feeling it's own aerodynamic profile. I've had it up to 165mph before and it was still accelerating, but I ran out of road, and I'm sure there wasn't much left anyway.

and finally

4) The thing that hurts cars a lot more than using them hard within their design parameters, is modifying them without good understanding of what these mods do. Running more boost, higher RPM limits, more fuel being injected across the board is what really does the damage. It can overpower the cooling capacities of the car, thus shortening the life. But if you have a unmodified car, and you stay up on maintenance, use it like it was meant to be. High load, high speed and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
When we drove to Poland through Germany (as I've said to you previously) we felt safer there at speed than on any other autobahn but when we arrived in Poland..heck different story. You don't need me to tell you the accident rate there with the 'black weekends'. I will never forget the E39 embedded two feet up a lamppost sideways with the post in the middle of car.. cholera jasna.
Masz racje!

You are right. Polish roads are narrow, much more crowded and vodka runs deep. Crashes are big and plenty, as speed and overtaking have become a form of drug.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 05-25-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 2