01-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #14
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Oh and something else. If you do get a home inspector, make sure you're actually there with the inspector. The inspector I hired stated this upfront that he highly recommends anyone hiring him to be there when he inspects the home. This is hugely beneficial for you as a potential homeowner. My inspector was chattering non-stop about what he was looking for and what he found with possible ramifications or remedies on fixes. It just makes you a more educated buyer by attending the inspection.
Agree completely with this, then when he says something isn't correct, he can also tell you what he thinks needs to be done, how big of a deal it is and you have a lot more information. Not everything on the report has to be fixed today or is even worth bringing up and by understanding more about what he is talking about you can decide. There is literally nothing to lose (I guess a little time) and a lot to gain. You also get a better idea of what he really knows.

With all of this I bought a house 14 months ago and a number of people said I should get an inspection and I didn't. The place was a wreck, needing new roof, electric, windows, plumbing, HVAC, new porch, deck, complete gut. This "need inspection" needs to be for a house worth inspecting. Probably would have been easier to list what was actually ok. I guess exterior walls and siding.

I got a termite inspection for about $60 and this was a complete waste of money, he looked around for about 20 minutes and told me he didn't see any termites. Thanks.