View Single Post
      06-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
That info is incorrect. K&N uses paper filter media and nothing blocks dust and dirt more than a paper media filter.

The reason you would not want to use a K&N filter is because of the filter oil getting on the MAF sensors and causing issues you could potentially see on a drop in filter that sits close to the MAF sensors. On the cold air intake system the filters sit around 3 feet away from the MAF sensors so it's not something to be worried about, the oil could make it's way up the tube a little but it's not going to reach the sensors. For a drop in filter I would use something like an AFE Pro Dry media filter instead of the blue oiled version.

Maybe things have changes but over the years of having big turbo trucks, K&N was a no-no. There is enough evidence out there that they allow enough particulate through to chew up the blades on a turbo. A quick google search will show it. This is just what I know from years of turbo engines on diesel trucks. Now that forced induction is A LOT more common on cars now, maybe the product has gotten better. I just like to air on the side of caution after rebuilding 2 turbos.
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0