06-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
I have a 2016 M6 GC (tanzanite blue, canyon brown leather, manual). On the coupe vs. gran coupe, I do have my 11-year-old son in the rear often, and he will get taller, not shorter; plus I have adults back there sometimes, including my ancient parents and inlaws. Getting in and out of the coupe's rear seats is just not really possible without some contortions. It's both the rear doors and the fact that the GC is a bit longer, which I think basically all goes toward rear legroom. Both versions look great, but I find the gran coupe far more rare, and in that sense special.

I parked next to a new M5 in my office parking garage on Friday, and the comparison was not good for the M5. The M5 is a super-special car, with all the performance, and I love it. I wanted an M5 for a long time, but when it started to be the right time, out comes the M6 GC! With an M5 sitting next to the M6 GC, the M6 looks so much more exotic. It looks wider, lower, and the fastback roofline just looks gorgeous. If you want one that looks normal, so strangers don't have any idea what you're driving, the M5 is good. (I used to want that stealth car; but then I decided I don't care what other people think of my car, and I just found the M6 beautiful and classic.) The M6 does feel long sometimes, like when backing up in my narrow alley; but the cameras on the birds-eye view make it pretty hard to screw up backing up while parking.

So I'm biased, but get the M6 GC.
Appreciate 0