View Single Post
      04-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Any prior or current 2009-2016 Cayman owners?

I'm considering a 2009-2016 Cayman 6MT as a fun car in addition to my 2016 M235. My preference is a 981 generation as I think it looks the best, but I'm not totally opposed to the 987 gen assuming it's an S.

I'm a DIYer and can do most maintenance and repairs myself. About the only thing I haven't done is replace a transmission/clutch or major engine work like yank a head or swap a motor.

From what I've gathered, the 2009-2016 Caymans are fairly reliable and easy to work on. Even though the motor is in the middle, you can access the front and top of the engine from the interior and most of the sides, bottom, and back of the motor from the underneath. I've had many Subarus so I'm used to Boxer style motors. It's my understanding that the 2009-2016 motors don't have IMS bearing which is huge plus. I've read that the 6MT's can have shifter cable issues and that the cables should be replaced every 30K miles.

Anyone have direct experience with these cars? Is there anything major, problem wise, I'm missing? Thanks.