Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I think the questions you gotta ask yourself are:

1) Do you enjoy what you do?
2) Are you proud of what you do?
3) Can you see yourself doing this for the next 30 to 40 years?
4) Is this a job or a career?

Dont be that car salesman who wakes up at 40 and tries to re-invent himself. I think you got lured into this by fast, easy, money. And there's nothing wrong with that provided the answers above are all "yes." But if you think there might be a "no" in there, especially for #3, start making a plan B now. Not saying you need to drop what you're doing but maybe consider doing this full time for a couple years. Save up some cash then start taking some classes. Maybe some business or finance classes. I think you've got 5 years max in the car business before you have pigeon-holed yourself into a corner you cant get out of. A guy with 5 years of car sales experience and a fresh degree can pivot into a white collar job, particularly if you can say "Oh yeah, I was just working my self through school." A guy with 10, 15, 20 years of car sales experience and a fresh degree is going to just keep hitting walls as he tries to escape. The stigma is too great. White-collar corporate America views car salesman as kinda sleazy. Most white collar corporate businesses don't want a car sales guy on their sales team because the pitch and the approach is different; they worry you'll piss off customers by appearing pushy and dishonest. I'm not saying you are any of those things but understand that your job is going to get you profiled and the longer you are in it the worse it will be.
I think by that age I'll be a GM. I'm trying to build my way into finance right now. I wanna build my way up to the GM position before I turn 30

Learning financing from the finance manager when it's not busy.
Good for you! But the same stigma applies. Just go into this eyes open. If I'm looking at the resume of a guy who spent 5 to 7 years selling cars then advanced to a GM position at a dealership, I'm thinking all you know is the dealership business. I'm not sure I'd look twice at that resume.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50