View Single Post
      05-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #34
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I read your post and I'm not against the number you mentioned about trap speed. I just gave you raw data and tried to refer to the fact that a RWD car can keep up with an AWD car if it has much horse power and well designed. I also compared the R8 since it's aerodynamic shape is more close to Lambo. look at the data again. you can see in 50 km/h (most of the rolling races start at this speed) to 250 km/h (most of the rolling races finish at this speed) M6 is about 2 seconds ahead R8 and 1.3 second ahead GTR. this is what I was trying to say. I know Aventador has more power compare to R8 and GTR, but this particular M6 ( that is CLAIMED 740 HP) has more power than M6 CP too! and I know this is not a simple math to get decision by comparing numbers. I am just trying to say that It's not that easy to judge. you can easily say M6 can beat M5 in rolling or M5 can beat 911 C2S in rolling or RS7 can beat M6 in drag race, but you cannot say definitely Aventador can beat 740HP M6 in rolling! and again I said in real world numbers must be close... who wins? we have to see
Trap speed encompasses drive train configuration. Generally speaking a car the traps higher will win a roll race vs a car that traps lower independent of drive train configuration.

What your getting at are drivetrain losses. Frictional losses and rotational losses tend to be greater for awd vs rwd, however the days are over when awd was necessarily more inefficient than rwd. Mondern power trains are very efficient… the awd drivetrain in the GTR is more efficient than many rwd power trains.

The M5/6 also have a very efficient power train. I have not read anything that would allow me to have an understanding of how efficient or inefficient the Aventador power train is…. trap speed would seem to indicate it's rather efficient.

I get what you're saying, but trap speed well incorporates ALL factors except perhaps aero, including drive train configuration. Most STREET cars don't trap fast enough for aero to be a huge factor.

Don't put too much emphasis on a single article, but watch a lot of roll races of cars of know trap speed...
Appreciate 0