View Single Post
      11-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
DDF200
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 F12; 335D; i3

Yes, original rims, no spacers, no modifications to the vehicle. Great suggestion on checking tirerack. According to their tire specs comparison chart the S4S tread depths is greater, but slightly narrower tread width. Tire diameter is the same. Not clear to me if this would be enough to cause the rubbing.

I think I have 2 options:

1) replace the fronts with PSS (star BMW) and eliminate the rubbing problem. If I do that, do I compromise general driving safety by keeping the S4S on the rear? Or should I suck it up and replace all 4 so they match. I'm not driving this on the track, I do like to drive a little too fast occasionally but 80% of the time, I'm not pushing the vehicle.

2) stay with the s4s on all four corners, minimize sharp turns where possible, and deal with the rubbing. I inspected the wheel wells, and the front air vents in the inner well have already got broken vent slats due to the rubbing (after <1000 miles). Not sure there can be any more damage at this point. But I'm sure the heat/friction from additional occasional rubbing will take a toll, at least until the tread wears down.

The S4S rubber is nice and I'm getting a better ride. I'd love to keep them, but don't want to compromise driving safety or vehicle integrity.

My local service shop didn't want to modify the inner well, so not sure I want to explore that further at this time.

Maybe there is another option I'm not thinking about? Thanks for your input!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0