View Single Post
      11-21-2023, 05:09 PM   #55
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
Where are the key word(s) used in your post that I quoted to show us that you're switching between these thoughts. The topic is leasing, you mention what you think is a good lease rate, you mention you couldn't see yourself paying X amount on 2 specific vehicles, you mention buying a Wraith/Ghost while losing less over 3 years and finally say you didn't pay that much on a Porsche.

Wouldn't people who read your paragraph assume you're talking about new vehicles? Am I the one who is confused with what you were saying?

But you won't and that's why I mentioned the depreciation numbers. The Wraith/Ghost lose 25% of their value over 3 years or nearly 100k. The next 3 years it's another 20% or about 60k. On top of that, you have 150k in payments over 3 years before you sell it to get a portion of your money back. I know you were exaggerating with this example and I took it at face value.

Like what? List me some high performance SUV besides a Cayenne that have more than a 58-60% lease residual value after 3 years.
The topic was "what can I do with $60k instead of lighting it on fire with a lease?"

Answers:

1. Find a better lease deal
2. Buy a used car that doesn't depreciate $60k in 3 years

I don't know what is so confusing here, and I wasn't exaggerating at all. A used 2014-2017 Wraith today costs about the same as it did 3-4 years ago, so there has been little to no depreciation after the initial massive hit that some rich bastard took for me (which I greatly appreciate). The Ghost and Wraith have been known to hold their value very well once they level off, and that is just one extreme example of what you can get for less than $20k/year in depreciation. 458, GT3/4, regular 911's, etc all can be driven but way, way less than $20k/year.

Sure, if you HAVE to buy a new car because you just can't stand the thought of having a used car, go nuts and light your money on fire. When I look at how much I'm paying in cash or per month I look at what else I can get for that same money and I think it's absurd that people actually think paying $60k to lease a non-exotic car for 3 years is normal and/or a good deal.
Appreciate 1