07-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #849
Dean_Clevername
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Having said that the M2c was driven in m mode most of the time and traction off completely quite a few times. It was a lot easier to control than the 2016 F80 due to the lack of spike in torque down low in the rpm which was handful in winters here as I preferred the rwd as my daily.

Both the M2c and e92 M3 were quite easy to control once they let go. I don't think I'm qualified enough to address the intangibles of either generation of M cars at the limit but overall I felt the servotronic in the e92 failed in comparison to my M2c and my e46.

Also I don't think you can compare these cars to any of the Porsches. I had a 987 for a week in San Fran 5 years back and that was the first Gen of electronic steering in a Porsche and they hit it dead on. Can only imagine a 996.
Most of my driving is with TC full off since I want to turn auto-blip off and heel-toe myself during daily driving. TC full off is the only way to do that. Which was shocking. And when TC is off you are stuck with sport mode steering and throttle. Luckily they fixed the driving mode independence problem in the M2C. I'm thinking now I shoulda got the M2C, but I didn't want the extra weight at the time.

All that said, I barely ever drive it on the street. Pretty much just to/from autocross or track stuff, where it's always 100% all nannies off or else you can't really dive it. I find it is a really sweetheart over the limit, never bites, easy to correct. Boost can sometimes surprise you, but I think that's more about throttle pedal calibration trying to be overly-smart than anything else. I still think my mom could drift it on a skidpad. Balance and forgiveness is lot like an e46 or e36 in the same conditions. So they got that right. But that's over the limit behavior. Trying to drive right on the limit is hard because you only have your butt and ears to tell you when you're using 100% of your front grip. Makes trail braking on the limit on corner entry a guessing game. Which is frustrating.

There's a good chance I'll be instructing someone who drives an e92 m3 in about a month, so I'll finally get to take some hard runs in one. I'm curious to feel the servotronic difference you're speaking of.

And yeah, probably not fair to compare anyone's steering tuning to Porsche's haha. But I honestly find the steering in my wife's Subaru Outback to be better than my M2, in terms of feedback about tire load. It shocks me every time!
Appreciate 0