06-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Actually, you’re living the best days of BMW. Until approximately a decade ago, BMW were unreliable and unsafe cars with boy racer kind of feel. Then they progressively got better and now they’re better than they’ve ever been.Things that didn’t exist before like: comfort, reliability, security, efficiency, technology comes as standard now in addition to much better performance.

E36 is pretty much a moving casket, very unreliable, very bad in terms of build quality and materials, very unstable and doesn’t have 50-50 weight distribution that started with E46. So unless you have nostalgic feelings, E36 is a tractor compared to G20. And E39 M5 is less aggressive and slower than my 540i and floatier and softer than a 530i without an M sport package. If millennial sees all the nonsensical praise for old cars here then goes ahead and drives one, he would be severely disappointed.(Maybe except E46)
I disagree. Yes cars now are objectively better than ever when it comes to build quality, reliability, fuel economy, performance, ride quality, tech, etc.

But absolutely nobody would argue the F/G chassis cars are more driver-focused than their predecessors. You can't replace the classic BMW formula of Inline 6, tight communicative steering, RWD bias architecture, and manual option. BMW makes some of the best vehicles in its respective segments, but their distinguishing character is all but gone. Drive them side-by-side with comparable Audis and Mercs and there's little difference.
Appreciate 2