06-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I'm at the point now where I'm asking if some of the new tech is more of a gimmick versus convenience.

When I'm reading the latest gen BMW forums and they start complaining about the newest advances of CA (comfort access) where the doors lock/unlock as you walk up to the car or away from the car...or the new credit card size lock/unlock...as well as using the phone...I come away thinking that the pinnacle of this technology was the CA door handles.

The CA door handles allows you to lock/unlock the vehicle as long as the remote fob is on you or near your person (purse/bag/etc). Using the card or your phone...you have to fumble with it...it takes more time than just walking up to the car and touching a door handle. And the lock/unlock as you walk up to or away from the vehicle is fraught with not knowing if the car locked as you walked away...and then sometimes it has locked the passengers in the car because they were dawdling and the driver moved far enough away from the car...or the car didn't lock because a passenger still had their door open as the driver walked far enough away for the car to lock.

And again, pulling out your phone to lock/unlock the vehicle seems more troublesome than the normal CA operation. You might as well pull out your remote if you're going to pull out your phone then punch a code or whatever it takes to unlock the vehicle.

The card seems to work great for people that need to fly "unencumbered"...like if you are at an outing where you'd be around water...so you don't want to take your remote fob with you. The card can be secured on your person and even if it got wet...it wouldn't be an issue...but you still have to pull it out and swipe it in a specific way near the door handle...which is more cumbersome than just touching the CA ridges on the door handle.

Just some thoughts...not totally knocking the new technology...but it doesn't seem to make things easier or more convenient. It may work great for some or in some specific circumstances...but for the majority...I'm not sure if it's convenient or just a showy gimmick.

I see your point and I agree. If the phone doesn’t work just like the fob with the nearfield business, I won’t use it. I rather like the novelty of having my phone be my car key, but if I have to yank it out of my pocket and stare at it and then push buttons to unlock my car, then what’s the point? The fob is a much better solution. Also, when I had an X3 loaner a while back, I became quite annoyed that all four door handles did not have CA tech. Only the front ones. It’s amazing how much this tiny inconvenience rankles. Like having to enter your passcode at Trader Joe’s when wearing a mask.

That said - About a year ago I misplaced my fob on a trip to Palm Springs - on a Sunday - of course. I was able to unlock my car through the BMW connected app, but was not able to start it. My host found the fob under the bed, so all ended well. In that situation, it would have been very nice to be able to start the car with the phone. For this, I’ll get the app - or whatever it is. But for everyday use, I’ll just keep the bulky fob on my person.

Funny story. I think the technology of having the door unlock as you approach began with Tesla. A few weeks ago, I decided to wash a friend’s Tesla X. She gave me the key and I started spraying. When I got within 3 feet of the driver’s door - it opened! While I was spraying water. Apparently the Tesla not only unlocks it but opens the door for you! Something to think about if you’re washing a Tesla.
Appreciate 0