View Single Post
      01-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #1098
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
I'm refreshing our fireplace. Got the sheetrock back on and now I'm contemplating if I should go further and replace/lower the mantel and install tv above the fireplace.

What's yours guys thoughts? Do TVs belong above the mantel or keep the fireplace as its own focal point? Our fireplace is in our great room, not the formal living room.
Personally, I'm not a fan of TV's above fire places when other options exist but it depends on the room layout and you use the room. Some people have no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
looks pretty dope! i like it! i would leave it as a fireplace as this is a focal point in the room. don't put the TV there. here's what mine looked like when we first moved in and i ended up sealing everything up and continued the moulding work to the ceiling to make the whole thing a focal point than just the mantel and below
Did you run the plywood under the entirety of the trimmed area? Or just the the interior? Slicks nice!

My current projects are more pedestrian. Velcro'ing the unvelcro'd and trying out different finishes on walnut for some black pipe shelves I'm making. The latter is so damn iterative and I'm sure there are options I have left to try! Plus not all pieces finish/color the same. 4 finishes shown. The smaller board is more blond because of less heartwood. </crappy phone pix>
Attached Images