01-20-2021, 11:00 PM   #55
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
I would be VERY interested in them checking out the machining on the crank....
It would be great to get some more information from the tech but to be honest, more and more techs are becoming less and less versed on subjects such as mechanical engine fundamentals. Most of the German marques do not allow technicians to service engines or even transmissions - they are "remove and replace" - hence their ability to properly diagnose failures is not always great.

While yes, tolerances can cause bearing failure, so can detonation, drops in oil pressure, or simply continued operation at high loads without allowing oil to come up to temperature.

The fact that this car was just purchased, at auction, with low miles - I think someone might have previously had a failure, maybe put a set of bearings in the car, and sent it off to the auction. It could have also been the tune, since OP said the car felt sluggish - perhaps there was something else. We could sit here and speculate all day but personally I'm not willing to point at a S63 tolerance fault with what I've read thus far.
Appreciate 0