bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Sadly that's our debate now. If we're eventually just going to rent it, is it even worth that investment.

I told my wife, if we were to do it, I'm going to tear up the yard, re-do the irrigation (base of the old system is on the side of the house still), and re-sod. That seems to be the only proper way to address it.
You are correct, it is. And I would spray Round Up everywhere before tearing up the yard and make sure everything is dead first. (I replaced my lawn 5+ years ago.)

Unfortunately it doesn't stop there as it will require ongoing maintenance. My neighbor replaced their lawn 2-3 years ago but don't do anything to maintain it (fertilizer / weed control / pest control). They threw away their money because it is now as bad as it was before they did it.

I spend a lot of time and money on my lawn (which is still far from perfect). To be honest if we were renting out our house instead of living in it, I might be inclined to be like everyone else and let it go.
Would the Round Up deal with weed seeds in the ground? There's got to be a ton in the ground and they can stick around for years before germinating. Seems like spring and fall pre-M applications will be needed for the next few years.

Not knowing how how big their yard is, but maybe seeding would be more cost effective than sodding. Tenacity is be used as a pre-M and can be applied at time of seeding. It is the only pre-M that I am aware if that will still allow for grass seeds to germinate. Grass seed 'usually' grows in stronger than sod, too.