09-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
I hardly login but I did just to reply to this comment.

You can not HEAR understeer. What you heard is the squealing of tires sliding sideways across the pavement. There is no way that you can tell if it's understeering or if it's oversteering or neutral, by just listening to the sound. It didn't appear to be noticeably oversteering in the video but only if you're driving the car can you really tell.

Sitting in your armchair will not give you a good idea of how the car drives AT ALL!! The amount of armchair coaches and drivers on here is ridiculous.

EDIT: At 1:08 it actually appears to be slightly oversteering. But in reality, a car that loves oversteering can be easily made to understeer in a corner and also made to hold right on the edge and go neutrally around the corner. By driving it around one corner you can't come to a conclusion that the car will always oversteer or understeer... And you're trying to make that conclusion from watching a video!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypon83 View Post
Exactly!! I really want to reply to that comment, but I just dont know how to describe it. Thx for giving this guy a lesson

Anyway, this is what I feel after I saw the video.

"Music in my ears."
The stuttering sound of the front tires losing mechanical adhesion/friction to the track is characteristic of understeer. In addition to that, watching the car's weight shift itself over is a visual that can be associated with understeer.

Understeer feels different than oversteer, that is a given. But any mildly experienced driver is able to decipher the difference between understeer and oversteer from the sound itself. Go try driving on a track sometime soon, its a much different experience than just watching videos of people on the Nürburgring from your armchair.

Cheers!

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0