View Single Post
      06-02-2020, 11:17 PM   #81
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Nuckle, Reb, quit teasing me, please. There have been almost no scratchers available at the local liquor store

Locally, lake boats have to be quarantined for 30+ days because of mussels, so I'd be ocean-going only.

So, from a maintenance standpoint, outboard only? It was such a hassle to try to crawl into the engine compartment, and I don't want to even think about changing the oil on an inboard. I remember trying to devise ways to catch the oil and run it out the back drain via various hoses. . .

SIMRAD seems to be the gold standard for the above-water world, but I've always been far more concerned with what's under the surface. And since most of the screens have been on someone else's boat, I still can't seem to wrap my head around the image is what's DIRECTLY below, or was there 10' ago, or

And for nav, if I have a perfectly good overlay that shows water paths, why does the nav always want me driving right thru the sea wall, over land, and thru the oceanfront living room of those lucky enough to live there???
I am sorry sir! We were being thoughtless for sure!

I like inboards and outboards, depends on the boat. For a boat like Reb's (Fountain Powerboat) I would want big blue power. For a boat going into the salt a lot I would want outboards.

Simrad is great a AO even and below. You can adjust the delay between what's on the screen when. I can tell you by looking at the screen if you need to drop another 12' with your rig to get into the fish.

The new NAV unit with autopilot will also make turns just not shortest distance.

I hope you get on the water soon sir!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50