05-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #421
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowar135 View Post
I'm led to believe that Kentucky Straight Bourbon must be matured in brand new barrels. So there must be a hell of a lot of used barrels out there waiting to be filled with something else.
Based on this online requirement to be called bourbon:

On 4 May 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a “distinctive product of the United States.” The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 CFR 5) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:
  • Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
  • Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
  • Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
  • Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
  • Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
  • Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
  • If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
  • Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.

Yup. Gotta be a LOT of used barrels from Bourbon. I think many are shipped to Scotland for scotch aging. I guess some reroute through use as barrels for sherry and other stuff before getting to scotland adding some flavor to the final scotch product. Thus my favorite scotch - Balvenie Doublewood.
Appreciate 2
bobowar1353479.00