View Single Post
      03-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #109
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
One common issue I've seen M5/M6's was that the driver seat side bolster would start to wear off, including mine. I've had decent luck in the past with cleaning and conditioning it with SwissVax's kit, but after a few weeks the scuffed leather look would return. Extremely annoying for me as the rest of my interior is pristine. So incomes Colourlocks dye solution. I cleaned the seat up really well prior to applying the dye and a leather conditioner as a top layer to kind of "lock in" the paint. After speaking with the crew over at colourlock, we decided to tone my dye down to a more dull, matte finish as the last thing I wanted was a high spot that stood out from the rest of the seat. Results seem to be okay...I'm more so waiting to see how it looks in a month or so, but I have high hopes that it will last.

So I did the same and got a complete colourlock kit - I thought I posted on here but can't find it!

I may have gone a bit overkill but I bought their entire kit including the colour matched dye. First point - I had various blemishes across the interior (so much leather!) and the colourlock system was amazing at covering up marks and scratches - for example my glovebox had some nasty nail scratches:

Before

After

It made a huge diff IMO and has held up really well as these are typically non-wear areas. I went round the entire leather interior with this as there were numerous such scratches across the acres of leather. I found that some leather (e.g. door cards) was a different material to the leather on the seats, and there was a bit of a process applying the colourlock chemicals - I had to change up my technique a bit. However, the results were still great - really happy with them.

Biggest change was the bolster:
Before

After

From this angle and about a foot away - it looked immaculate. However up close, the stitching did get dyed (I have white contrasting stitching on black leather). Unfortunately there is no way round this, tbf the stitching was gone before I did the colourlock treatment anyway, I just tried to be careful when applying but it's inevitable it'll get some dye on it. It really didn't stand out to me though and it looked a huge improvement from the eyesore before...however...6 months later and it's back to how it was

I did follow all the steps including adding their protective top coat - I used this excellent video as a guide (watch it all the way through as the order of application can be confusing).

I'm waiting for a free weekend to tackle this again as my whole interior is due a full detail. I'll give the process another go and see how we do, though I may be reaching out to colourlock for further advice. It may just be an annual "maintenance" thing I have to do vs getting a professional - more permanent - repair.
Appreciate 1
TomM673.00