View Single Post
      04-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #837
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim99ws6 View Post
I generally dethatch every other year. I do it in the fall, as I prefer not to stress the shit out of my yard in spring or especially summer. I also only seed in the fall, to get maximum % survival out of it.

Really, I think 90% of it is having an irrigation system. Without it, all the cool tools, aeration, dethatchers, etc, are just fighting a losing battle.

For dethatching, I will say it seems to help the grass jump better in the spring than the year I dont do it. My fall process:

-Cut LOW(I typically cut 2x a week at 4", and fall cut at around 2ish"
-Dethatch creating a freaking mess in my yard(the first year I did this in my new-to-me home 4 years ago my neighbors thought I was CRAZY)

-Then rather than rake, I do single spray passes pushing the grasses off the yard(yea, I might not get 95% of it off the yard, but I get a good 75% IMO)

-Run irrigation, then immediately plug-aerate

-Overseed with Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue.

That's my script. Works for me and my yard. But, we are all just dad-bodding our way through this thing haha.

I would recommend switching away from Kentucky 31. That's actually a contractors mix that is full of annual grasses. Also usually has a high load of weed seeds and even noxious weeds. You might have a SiteOne near you, they'll hook you up with excellent seed and for likely less cost. I agree about the irrigation, love mine and the customers that have them. Wife was thrilled last year when I put all of her planters and hanging basket hooked in too. Now they don't die a month later
Appreciate 0