View Single Post
      02-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
There's nothing new in the numbers you've posted. If you looked at the numbers around this time last year, it was the same with all the MY bumped up by 1 year.... '14s were low $60s, '15s were in low $70s.

So this time next year, '16s will be in the $60s, '15s will be in the $50s and '14s will be in the $40s.

I calculated when I bought my '14 GC in December 2017, I was going to eat $10k of depreciation in CY2018, and another $10k in CY2019. Then from there on, the rate will level off to reach $30k by year 2022.
Assuming you are talking retail, I was referring to MMR. Still, I do agree 10k per year is a good estimate. Maybe I overpaid for mine last year, but I doubt I'd fetch anywhere close to $50k at 43k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
That's why you just drive the snot out of your car and enjoy it for what it is! I also own a 2015 i3 Rex with less than 20k miles and it's probably worth only 17k now... msrp was close to 50k+.
I did daily it for a year. Warranty just ran out, and BMW wants about $6k to up the powertrain another 12mo. I have literally been at the dealer once a month for tire issues. Actually one pot hole blew out my drivers strut. That was a $2,500 repair that BMW footed. Dallas is not kind to cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
You’re not alone in your observation of the rapid decline in BMW value of lately. I know someone that works at Alphera Financial (BMW Finance). He told a buddy of mine and myself a few weeks ago , that BMW’s being mass produced like the average none luxury car brands. And that BMW has been marketing their vehicles all over the place. So, that do impact the value of their vehicles. The industry is viewing BMW like any ordinary auto manufacturer (Toyota, Honda,etc.). I think that demand a supply is driving down the value of BMW. Even the revered “M” class BMWs are taking a big hit. BMW has very little differences between M vehicles and the none M vehicles in BMWs lineup anymore.
There is a lot of merit to this. While the "M sport" models etc are certainly money makers for BMW, it's taking away from the "specialness" of the actual M cars.

Here in Dallas, M3/4/5 (not a e36 sedan with a 5 speed :P ) are a dime a dozen. I hardly see a M6, and when I do it's a vert, or coupe. I guess such a niche car would never hold trade in value. Sites like Bring-a-Trailer would be good to see a M6 cross the auction block to get a better understanding of what someone is willing to pay. I see a lot of good deals even here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
I haven't seen any at that level - best value I have seen after searching for 2 years is 14s, clean, 25-35k miles sitting at about 50 even. Anything below 50 are for cars with over 45k miles (always a barometer for repairs).

I had always wanted an m5, dreaming of an m6, but never thought a car with a 130k sticker would be attainable or in my budget.

I think its based on the 6 being for a very select crowd and the 5 being the legacy m sedan still.

Seems as once this flushes out, they could very well increase on value once they are obsolete. They are still amazing machines in both form and function - love the fact they aren't very common.
Well said, that's my favorite part of the M6. I guess I am a sociopath but when someone stops me to say "Beautiful car!", or "What is that??" I get a sense of pride. I have been asked about my M3 though... LOL
Appreciate 1
mikerx5461.00