View Single Post
      02-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Why the sudden depreciation?

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion... Why, it seems, all the sudden our M6 cars (especially the F06) have taken a nose dive in the market.

Maybe it's just perception, but I help track values through MMR for folks through a dealer friend of mine, and just in the past few months our values have dropped over $5k, where-as the comparable M5 seems to be holding steady (similar years).

The announcement of the M8 would hurt our resale value, sure, but it just didn't seem to affect the M5 market as much. Hell, even coupes seem to be holding strong, where-as previously the F06 > F13 as far as pricing goes.

Have we hit rock bottom? I doubt it, just look at the E63s. You can get a decent mileage example well under 20k. Though, the rod bearing and SMG issues plague that platform.

I recently stopped daily driving my car to try and save it from getting so beat up. Here in Dallas, the roads are terrible, and I've had to put 3 sets of tires and replace 2 wheels in the past 6 months. So, I've got an expensive, depreciating asset in my garage doing nothing. Kind of sad, but my fear of something expensive breaking keeps me from enjoying it.

Autotrader has a few 18/19 MY cars in the six figures, while low mileage 16's are selling in the upper 70k range. Mine, for example was in the low $60k range just last year, now I'd be lucky to get $45k for it.

Audi RS7's which have a similar MSRP (if not lower) are holding strong in the 60-70k range (well equiped low mileage 2015s). I feel like our cars are much more special, due to the production numbers and sheer looks.

Anyway... yes, cars depreciate... Yes, cars are not investments. These things I know, just curious as to why the values have plummeted.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0