markpetrakis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Wonderful problems 😂

But if you are buying an M6 because it makes sense… think again… Fundamentally, our cars make NO SENSE whatsoever, but my god are the fun and gorgeous…

So, if you need a sensible high performance big sedan (how many people really need one?) F90 M5 would be a significantly more sensible buy. And G30 550i probably even more sensible - both leave M6 in the dust off the line, probably no matter what kind of tune you might be running… But do they look drop dead gorgeous and make people turn their heads to a nearly 10-year old platform - I still argue M6 is the most beautiful BMW ever built, and there are not many other makes/models that are true competitors in that sense, especially if you go for F06.

No, you absolutely don't need an M6 - but you may desperately want one, and that's a great reason to pull the trigger. But be warned - unless you one day want something that ticks very different boxes (say an exotic supercar like an Aventador, a monster muscle car like Shelby GT500 (I wish we could get them to down under), or a proper 2-seater sports car like a Cayman GT4), you'll struggle to find a meaningful successor… I'm in that trap - would like to find something I would go all giddy, but no luck (within reasonable budget)…

Good luck!
Truly wonderful problems aren't they... Problems I never thought I'd have the privilege of having but glad to have them.

There is nothing sensible about my m3 let alone an m6 (or m5 for that matter), but I think it may make more sense for my wants and use case. The appeal of the m6 looks wise is what really makes the desire not go away. It may be between the m6 and the e9 for me when it comes to second most beautiful, though the 507 will always take the cake for me. It definitely is the best looking modern BMW.

I love my m3, but I have never found myself completely enamored with it like I had anticipated being. I had a 135i with some minor mods before the e90 and always left excited to drive it again after every drive. I was giddy to get back in and drive it again the next time. So far that hasn't been there with the m3. The gt4 is something that has been on my radar a lot, and while I'm privileged enough to be able to consider trading an m3 for an m6 that gt4 is still out of reach... For now. The people I have spoken to that have driven both have said that the m6 is intoxicating in a way that few others cars can be. I'll be test driving one soon enough to make that call on my own.
Appreciate 0