08-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #17
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMarks57 View Post
Looking for current input on a reliable solution to the RFT/Non-RFT debate. I personally can't stand the RFT tire and am amazed BMW selected them for the design of such a great sports car. I hate the ride, the noise and the fragile nature of these wheels and switched over to Non-RFTs. Now the challenge is find a wheel/tire/spare set-up that I can count on.

While I love the look and ride of the 20" wheels, I'm not convinced the tire manufacturers have developed a strong enough sidewall to protect from even a modest pothole impact and the 20" wheel maybe an inch too far for reliability.

* Tire Repair Kit - Great if you have a puncture...useless on a side wall tear that is THE most common failure due to pot holes.

* Road Hazard Insurance - An ABSOLUTE must.

* Ride Settings - As much as I love the running Sport setting, I feel the firmer shock settings INCREASES the likely hood of sidewall damage when you hit a pothole. In the winter months I've decided to run the Comfort + suspension to help absorb some of the impact.

* Spare Tire - Right now I'm planning on buying a full sized 20" spare (required with XDrive) and carry a front wheel size of the standard staggered size set-up. I have not been able to locate a 20" space saving spare setup and welcome any input from the forum.
* Spare Tire - Right now I'm planning on buying a full sized 20" spare (required with XDrive) and carry a front wheel size of the standard staggered size set-up. I have not been able to locate a 20" space saving spare setup and welcome any input from the forum.

and

Road hazard insurance is my plan.

I scoped a semi used 245/35/20 off a forum member and i am just going to get a knock cheap 20' and have that as my spare. front size of the staggered fitment, I will keep it in in my garage unless taking a long trip.
Appreciate 0