View Single Post
      06-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #8
Ann in Ohio
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650 iX Grand Coupe

I just got rid of my run flats. Had my car for 10 days before I lost the right front tire due to sidewall bubbles from pot holes. Yikes! My choice was to pay $400+ for a new right front run flat tire or just switch them out now. In addition, I live in the midwest....the RFTs are summer tires so I was going to have to buy winter tires anyway. I researched BMW approved tires for the 650 and had my dealer put on a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06s. I have the "M" sport package so I have the 20" split configuration. The Continental tires are half the price...really...of the Dunlop RFTs. Just brought the car home yesterday and there is a huge difference in better ride quality and ability to handle the Ohio crappy roads right now (Indiana is even worse). Plus the benefit is these tires are all season...D (dry) W (wet) and S (snow)! I am not too much of an aggressive driver so I am not out trying to take mountain roads so I can not attest to the tires ability to handle the curves but what I can say is for "normal" road driving (is there such a thing), these tires get it done with lots of pluses (cheaper, better suited to bumpy and pot hole ridden roads). Once I made the decision, the dealer had the tires the next day and installed them for a price that was cheaper than Tire Discounters (I had a quote) plus I got a free alignment (needed it) that I would not get at the discount store. I was pleasantly surprised.
My dealer tried to talk me out of changing out the tires...because there is no spare tire. But, in the M's, they put in a BMW M Mobility Kit...which is a compressor with fix it foam to get you somewhere safe. A lot of cars don't have spares these days. I had my dealer put a Mobility Kit in the back and we are in business. I also plan on getting a AAA towing subscription. Oh, and the dealer talked me into keeping the three good RFTs in case I change my mind. Not a bad idea...I did some research and the used tires aren't worth much anyway. If I decide to go back, I only need one tire.
The dealers are worried about you being safe, but seriously, I just turned in another sports sedan with regular low profile tires that I have driven 40,000 miles on a single set. No problems on the same roads.
Appreciate 0