07-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ind_can View Post
Have had the car for a few days now and noted the following mechanical observations which I'm having a hard time diagnosing. Any suggestions?

1) A loud high pitched whine from the engine bay when lightly revving the engine, particularly between 1000-2000 RPM. This occurs in all gears, even neutral. It's coming from the belts area and quite noticeable from inside the cabin but also standing with the hood popped.
First off, I believe we may have actually corresponded about my vehicle. Mine was the Ontario car with CCBs and a 2 year BMW extended warranty.

Anyways, I have not experienced any of the issues that you mentioned, but I thought I would chime in on a couple of them.

I am not sure of your history with BMW vehicles, but I have found that my M cars have been noisier in general than the more mainstream BMW vehicles I drove before. Not annoyingly noisy - you just hear more of the mechanical of the car working away.

When I first drove my M4 off the lot, I was concerned with all the mechanical noises, as "issues", but was re-assured by my dealer that a lot of what you hear is amplified. For M cars, design decisions are more performance oriented than comfort/luxury oriented.

However, nothing would be what I classify as "loud". So if your definition of "loud" is relative to say a 650i, then it might just be that your ears need to get used to the sounds of an M car.

But the grading/scraping definitely does not sound normal. No car (M or not) should be making those kinds of noises.

Also, regarding the brakes - because that car had been on the lot for quite while, I wouldn't be surprised if the rotors picked up a lot of oxidation. I once had a Mercedes that I had sit in my garage for a month and when I went to finally drive it, for the next several days the brakes were rough and noisy. Perhaps doing a proper bed-in procedure would resolve your issues there. There's lots of posts in the forum explaining how to properly bed in brakes.
Appreciate 0