08-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #17
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscreen67 View Post
What are you defining as IQ?

My ex wife's cousin was a Bill Gates scholarship recipient, undergrad at Cambridge and PHD at UT for bio-engineering with an emphasis in studies of delivery of pharmaceuticals and constructing alternative pathways of delivery.....

Yet the man literally had no clue how to change oil on a car.
IQ is the best approximation we can come up with for what people refer to colloquially as intelligence or being smart. While everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, general intelligence correlates very highly with IQ.

If your ex wife's cousin did all that stuff, he clearly has way, way more than the minimum intelligence required to learn to change his car's oil. It's most likely that cars just didn't interest him; his mind was elsewhere doing more "important" things like his research. Mechanical experience is a learned skill. That guy could certainly learn a lot about cars very quickly if he cared to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Taking it back on topic - IMHO that is a terrible idea. Sounds like MENSA for car enthusiasts. Talk about boring. I like our group just the way it is: married & single; young and old; intelligent and average; wealthy and not wealthy; educated and uneducated; etc. All we really have in common is that we are BMW enthusiasts and enjoy people. We have great events.
I don't disagree. It could be a disaster. In any event, we clearly consider very different types of car club experience to be ideal.
Appreciate 0