hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
This! It is exactly what I was trying to say in my 2 sentence post . Every individual has to decide if $2K, $3K, $5K, etc is worth it (and look at the fine print of what is covered). Let's say it is a 5 year, 100K mile warranty all inclusive for $5K, I wonder if anyone here would say "never buy it" (I doubt it) for a V8 650. Many simple and common repairs cost a couple grand on these cars.

In any case, the warranty company wins in sum at the end, just like any insurance company. The buyer has to hedge their bet and think about the car the own, the miles they put on, and the warranty value.
Many years ago I worked for a leading warranty and service plan administrator who manages all the new and used car warranties for Land Rover, Jaguar, Nisan, Subaru...to name but a few. And yes, the house always wins.

Much like gym memberships those who get maximum value out of their warranties are subsidised, in effect, by those who buy them but never use them.

Cars are expensive to run, plain and simple. Low-volume cars even more so. The 6- and 7-series use parts which are often bespoke to those models, and in many cases shared parts are shared only with Rolls Royce. Depending on the cost and terms and conditions and of course any exclusions of any specific warranty they are at the very least worth a look.

Personally, I have never owned a pre-owned car without warranty.
Appreciate 0