Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
It's not a consipracy.
Seeing something flapping around and not understanding it's true purpose is a limitation to us.
Yes we can understand the RB wing sagging (or at least we think we can). That doesn't mean we can understand the merc fin flapping.
I can think of a dozen reasons for that finn to flap (maybe it creates a turbulance that hits the wing just at a certain spot, maybe it creates a turbulance that just misses the wing at a certain spot. Maybe it steers a turbulance in a corner to guide it to one side or maybe it steers the turbulance to guide it to the other side.
Whatever it does, it'll probably be way to complicated to understand its exact workings for any of us.

At the point that you start using relativation to the workings of an F1 car (like: "you dont need to be an aerodynamicist to know this" or "nothing on any car is "rigid" there is nothing like infinite rigidity in physics.. "), you are way way out of your leage claiming to understand the workings of an F1 car.
None of us understands it.
I've worked 3 times in a windtunnel. Did some CFD modelling (Euler and Navier Stokes), but I don't presume to understand. Not even that RB sagging wing. In reality modelling and testing that effect will be way way to complicated for us. Even designing a non sagging wing is way to complicated for us.
I'm pretty sure that if we would design a sagging wing, it would still be the worst performing wing in the field. By a mile.

Saying something like "nothing on any car is "rigid" there is nothing like infinite rigidity in physics.." has no added value in this discussion. It's like saying water is wet. Stating the obvious.
I actually worked on CF when it became more popular as a structural material in 1983 and 1984. I stated in a post the proper way to make the material behave with my knowledge and I don't have the information a top tier F1 team has. If anyone believes that they can't do this in light of evidence that they have...it's a pretty amazing.

Thanks for your post. It is very helpful!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0