01-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #148
Danconia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
BMW has been telegraphing this move since the introduction of the X5M and X6M. And now it's official: The M badge means nothing anymore.

Pardon my ignorance, but...

...wasn't that what every BMW was supposed to represent?! Isn't that the reason people buy BMWs to begin with?

This is exactly on point and I posted much of the same sentiments on the M5board. I am one of the forums wishing for more 'focused' M models. I am afraid mostly of this quote by Dr. Nitschke:

"We are targeting our efforts at customers looking for more emotionality and more performance, but who don't want to forgo the everyday usability of their cars," said Dr. Friedrich Nitschke, President of BMW M GmbH.

So the current lineup of M models is not useable daily? This shows me that BMW M is going in the opposite direction than I wish they would of coming out with a bonkers M3/M5 GTS/black series type of option. They are saying that the new turbo M5 and upcoming M3 are enough and in fact that they need to offer a watered down version.

I am not a badge person but I also do not look forward to explaining to non-enthusiasts that their M335i or M550d is not quite the same as a "regular" M car.

I think I am moving on to other car options at this point. It has been fun!
2008 E90 M3 - Gone
Appreciate 0