06-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #81
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

[QUOTE=mikerx5;26257112]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post

Well said. My problem is where do we go from here - as in 5 years from now? We are a family of 4 so a sedan is a must and nothing moves the needle for me like a bmw sedan - so its m5 or m8....
[QUOTE=Kr0m3assass1n;26257574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Yep I'll be facing the same dilemma. I've got two car seats in the back today but 5 years from now there will be two tiny adults. I'll likely stick with a sedan myself, just don't like driving an SUV full time.

Hopefully there are some other compelling options outside BMW.

I really wouldn't mind considering a Taycan someday if they can improve their efficiency and range in the next 2 years.

I have two kids now. Trust me when I say this, your kids, kids equipment, and carseats are going to beat the crap out of your car. I would never consider using a $100k interior for daily family transportation.

I highly recommend buying a run of the mill X3, X5 or X7. With 1 kid X3 should be fine. Two kids, go with X5 or X7. I also recommend looking for the +2 configuration on the X5. the third row seats will come in handy in a pinch. The wide interior of the X5 and X7 will allowed a side-by-side car seat configuration, allowing your wife to sit with both kids in the bench. The X3 likely will not allow this. X7 is even better, as one kid or an adult can sit in the full time third row. I'm actually considering an X7 40i or a Volvo XC90 because I need something even bigger than my E70 X5.

The reason an suv is so critical is the trunk space. You're going to find out you're pretty much going to have your stroller in the trunk 100% of the time. For mid size sedan that would take up 60% of the space. The egress is also easier. You're not lifting kids out of a car with a SUV, you're more pulling the kids out, as the seat bottoms are at 4 feet off the ground.