Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TON-III View Post
I feel topic starters pain while I'm also comparing my ex-car ( 1,5 t.) to this 2 t. sprinting elephant every now and then ......

These 6 series are more good looking and attractive than they are to drive.
Quite many times those a bit stupid moves are the bests in the end - I'm nowadays happy with my car !
I can say if I skipped 4er and jumped right to 6er I would have less concerns right now))) But, you are right for 100% they look better than run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
It sounds like you liked the 6 series until you actually drove one. You don't seem like you love it enough to buy one.
You may also know there are usually some other differences between a 640 and a 650 besides the engine.
Now, I am going to test drive 650 just to compare acceleration and that feeling with 640. And I am looking only for cars with these options: 2 doors, M package, comfort seats, led instrument cluster, would prefer black headliner and soft close for doors))). I do like a body and that wide armrest/tunnel between front seats. And I can't understand why they do not have an arm rest for rear seats but if you take off that middle pillow there would be a hole to a trunk or even nothing (like it was in a car yesterday, just tht fabric that trunk covered from inside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
I will warn you, buying the 6 series will be a compromise in several areas. Not necessarily in a bad way, but this platform is "different" compared to many other BMWs.

I will list the compromises below:
1.) Sunroof: this tilts open, but does not slide. It's due to the design of the car with its sloping roof (though I think this is a poor excuse given other brands with sloping roof designs have fully functional roofs)
2.) Getting in and out the car is a hassle due to the low step in height. It takes some time getting used to getting in and out of the car.
3.) Visibility: this is due to the unique design (especially in the Gran Coupe) and the low slung interior. However, you get used to it over time. Parking is not a problem if you have the surround view cameras/rear view camera. Without this option, parking would be HELL.
4.) Weight: driving this car compared to a 3 or 4 series is VERY different. This car is not light whatsoever, and you feel it driving around town. It does feel every bit of it 4,100+ Ibs. However, the car is quite quick (both 640i and 650i) for its weight and is a TANK on the highway. And surprisingly, the 640 gets decent fuel mileage (20 city/28-9 hwy/22-23 combined).

**side note: If you are looking at purchasing a 640i, I'd highly recommend putting a Stage 1 MHD tune, in combination with an XHP transmission tune. It REALLY wakes up the 640i and makes it so much more engaging to drive. I am surprised at how much different of a driving character these 2 tunes have made. My Stage 1 tune brought the car to 360hp & 395ft lbs of torque. The car feels like a small V8 rather than a 6. Plus the shifts are lightning quick. I can only imagine what a Stage 2 would do.

Other than these issues, the car is general a good platform. Just takes a while getting used to its uniqueness.
Yes, I see your point. For me, as 6'5'', it is the same to get out of 2, 4 or 6 I use a body sill putting left hand on it))) My problem is I love with eyes but not a brain). I am pretty tall and slim, so bigger car's body looks more suitable and I am sitting surrounded with appropriate size (for my body) interior pars in 6er. In 4er I feel myself a little bit bigger than everything in a car)));

Pros:
- exterior;
- luxury interior;
- some new options and features (led cluster, soft close, m package, maybe line control);
- premium car.

Cons:
- heavy, poor acceleration (comparing to my current bm3 st 2);
- room inside, no space behind me)))) probably 2in or 5cm, in 4er i have like 4 in or 10 cm with same front comfort seats.
- sunroof(((, tilt is useless, I live in Texas and I use to drive all over the year with open roof and open side windows, literally each day unless raining.
- fear of bad luck with 650 or insufficient n55 for such body.

I can deal with acceleration by going the same way as I did for 435: charge pipe $230; downpipe $350; BM3 st 2 $0 for N55 and $600 for N63; plumb back BOV $200; FMIC $400, xHP st3 $0. So, ~$1200 and it will be running as fast as it can with stock turbo and fuel line...
You'll be fast but definitely not maxed out by any means with that setup. There is a lot more to gain on stock turbo.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3