View Single Post
      05-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Tire / Wheel Recommendations - Ride Improvement

So, I'm trying to decide whether I'll keep my 650xi GC long term. It has a lot going for it - styling, technology, comfort, power, luxury. I originally thought the 8 would be my replacement (when the concept came out), but I was then disappointed by the production car. I'll see what they do with the 8GC, but at this point I don't think it'll ever be as striking as the 6. Truth be told, there's just nothing in the BMW line-up right now that feels like a proper replacement for the 6.

But the 6 hasn't been perfect either - a few very minor things (like a sunroof that doesn't slide open and no power trunk). But the one BIG thing is the ride quality on the terrible run-flat tires. This isn't unique to the 6-series, of course, but I've stuck with the run-flats since I didn't want to ditch perfectly good tires. Even now, I only have 8k miles on them.

However, if I'm going to commit to a long-term relationship with the 6, it NEEDS to ride well on our terrible CT roads. That likely means non-runflat tires and new wheels. In the past, I've been a fan of Michelin PSS (now PS4's I suppose), so that's what I'm naturally leaning towards. But aside from the tires, I also feel like these wheels haven't been the best either - they tend to bend easily (I've had tire coverage, thankfully), and they also feel heavy - also not great for ride quality.

So, I'm interested in suggestions on both. How many of you have successfully improved ride quality while keeping the stock rims? Have they continued to bend on moderate impacts? I'm fine with the fairly conservative looks of the stock rims - not looking for anything flashy - but I'd consider replacing the rims if there were good suggestions on strong rims that people have found hold up well while reducing weight. It's all about the ride quality to me right now.

Thanks for the input, folks - pictures are a plus, too, if you have them!
Appreciate 0