08-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #3241
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Our lab/pointer/Weimaraner mix "Tank" was with our family since March of 2010 and we put him down about 4 weeks ago. He was 14 and absolutely a delight of a dog. In his younger years he had incredible energy and speed. He loved to jump off docks into water and we had him in a competition where he pushed out an 18 foot jump. He was great at jumping straight out but didn't jump up so pretty impressive distance considering his approach.

He was a rescue dog that we found at a foster home west of the Twin Cities, MN. Apparently he was from Iowa, trained as a hunting dog, and then the previous owner just didn't want him anymore when he got to be 1.5 years old? So many great memories and we spoiled him so much in his final days. My boys (who are 9 and 7) knew him their whole lives so it was super hard to tell them he was being put down but we were super transparent with why and what the process was for Tank.

I miss having a fur baby running around the house but feels like I'm years away from being able to accept that I could have another puppy as there is no way they could measure up to Tank.
I felt the same way after we put our girl Poppy down after 13 years. We waited about 5 months and weren't really looking or feeling ready for another one then on a whim we visited our vet who was having adoptions and voila we wound up being chosen by Bugs, best decision that was made for us.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2079.50