View Single Post
      03-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I've been invited to drive one and will probably do so this week. I'm also doing a track day with the full current line up of M cars in April including the G8x range so will report back then.

Based on my past experiences driving the F8x M2/3/4, F9x M5/8 and the M6 I'm going to guess that on the road I'm going to dislike the steering the most, the electronic power steering on the M8 was a much bigger deal for me than I thought it would be. In fact I went into it thinking I'd be more concerned about the ZF8 based on experiences in other vehicles with the ZF8 versus the DCT in the m6 but the gearbox was quite good.

Before I drive the G8x I think I'm going to be most worried about the steering and possibly how it handles tight bumpy roads. I drove an F8x M4 non-Comp and an M3 Comp on a back road I know quite well and they were both quite fidgety compared to my C63 and M6 so I will definitely drive it on that road. The M8 drove fine on the same road. I know that the smaller cars should handle those sorts of roads better but the rear end skipped around so much I just had no confidence in pushing the cars at all.

One other thing that I'm looking for when driving is how loud the ASD will be, it was an easy fix in the M6 to just unplug it but I haven't seen people talking about it yet in the G8x (other than coding which I'm sure will do it)

One concern I have with the new cars is that M8 is the 68 litre tank and the G8x only has a 59 litre. I really am enjoying the 80 litre tank in the M6. The G8x will get quite a bit better fuel economy though so in the real work the range might be fairly close.