View Single Post
      05-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #901
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
i7 renamings, M3 CS shows up, i4 power is known.
So, for those keeping score:

iX xDrive40 320hp
iX xDrive50 515hp
iX M60 560hp

i4 eDrive35 300hp
i4 eDrive40 335hp
i4 M50 470hp

I suspect we'll soon learn that the numeric value in the name is a reflection of battery capacity only. In other words, I don't think there is any attempt here to correlate the badge to power output like there is with the gasoline and diesel lineups. For example, a future i4 xDrive40 will not make 320hp like the iX xDrive40 does. I say this not least because that would nonsensically put its output below the RWD eDrive40 model's output. Furthermore, an iX M50 (which probably won't exist, but theoretically could) would obviously not have only 470hp like the i4 M50 model does. This is because, again, that would nonsensically place it below the non-M xDrive50 model in the lineup.

TL;DR: when it comes to BMW EVs, don't try to guess motor output based on the badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisss_GER View Post
I thought the i4 M50 will have 530hp as it was officially announced and not 470hp?
Or will there be an i4 M with 530 hp?
I was wondering that as well. As you suggest, that may be another model coming later. However, a mere 12% bump in power for the flagship M model over its lesser sibling would be a bit of an uncharacteristic move. Perhaps they intend to deliver even more power for said flagship? They could use the 560hp setup from the iX M60, for example. Though, it's not clear if the i4 will support the "60" battery which is probably paired with the higher output motors in order to yield a more reasonable EPA range.
Appreciate 0