07-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
First off, I believe we may have actually corresponded about my vehicle. Mine was the Ontario car with CCBs and a 2 year BMW extended warranty.

Anyways, I have not experienced any of the issues that you mentioned, but I thought I would chime in on a couple of them.

I am not sure of your history with BMW vehicles, but I have found that my M cars have been noisier in general than the more mainstream BMW vehicles I drove before. Not annoyingly noisy - you just hear more of the mechanical of the car working away.

When I first drove my M4 off the lot, I was concerned with all the mechanical noises, as "issues", but was re-assured by my dealer that a lot of what you hear is amplified. For M cars, design decisions are more performance oriented than comfort/luxury oriented.

However, nothing would be what I classify as "loud". So if your definition of "loud" is relative to say a 650i, then it might just be that your ears need to get used to the sounds of an M car.

But the grading/scraping definitely does not sound normal. No car (M or not) should be making those kinds of noises.

Also, regarding the brakes - because that car had been on the lot for quite while, I wouldn't be surprised if the rotors picked up a lot of oxidation. I once had a Mercedes that I had sit in my garage for a month and when I went to finally drive it, for the next several days the brakes were rough and noisy. Perhaps doing a proper bed-in procedure would resolve your issues there. There's lots of posts in the forum explaining how to properly bed in brakes.
Thank you for the feedback. Being new to M cars, that definitely helps out a little bit. I've scheduled an inspection with a BMW dealership (not the one I bought it from) on Thursday.

- I can appreciate that M cars would definitely be more noisier than non-M cars, especially in regards to the mechanical operation of the cars. I'm coming from a 535i which is a very quiet car in comparison. None of the observations are particularly bothersome it's just that you notice them more coming from a mainstream BMW.

- The only noise that I would consider to be borderline annoying is the constant whine/wheeze from the engine bay belts are, particularly between 1200 RPM to 2000 RPM. It almost sounds like the whine of a supercharger. Any ideas what this could be? I can't imagine this would be normal for any M vehicle.

- The squealing brakes explanation makes sense. The car was sitting on the lot from October 2017 to June 2018, through a very wet winter, so that would make sense.

- The most concerning sound for me also is that momentary (< 1 second) scrape/grinding accompanied by each up-shift. It's coming from the rear lower portion of the car.

Hoping to get more answers after Thursday, but appreciate all of your insights.
Appreciate 0