View Single Post
      09-10-2022, 02:20 PM   #48
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

I just completed this DIY on my other F06 yesterday and figured I’d add a few notes. The front is basically unchanged from what I wrote.

For the rear:

I still lowered the rear shelf out of the way and onto the rear seat backs as I did in the DIY, even knowing the speaker-cover trick works. The reason being is it only added maybe 10 minutes total to the entire project, removal and re-install (since I knew exactly what tools I needed and parts needed to come off this time) and it made it much easier to thread the nuts onto the strut mount as I was doing it by myself this time. Being able to have more open area to be both holding the strut with one hand while also blindly starting the nuts onto the studs with the other hand was worth the “hassle” of removing the rear shelf, to me.

Also, having an impact gun instead of just basic hand tools was a game changer especially on that bolt that holds the strut to the rear hub. There is great access to the bolt as long as you have an extension and swivel adaptor. I have a 1/2” impact gun and after a few on-off pulses with that bad boy that nut popped loose. That part with the hand tool probably took me 30 minutes per side last time! Done in seconds with the impact wrench.

The part in my DIY about the “number 7” stamp on the rear strut upper mount is irrelevant. The stampings on this car were different. The main point still stands though that the three studs aren’t equidistant and need to be correctly oriented to have any hope of them going through the holes in the body. It took about 30 seconds of fiddling, again, by myself, to get them through the holes but much less time than last time since I knew there was a specific orientation to that top mount.

Hardest part this time was being solo and having to push down on the brake rotor with all my weight almost while also trying to line up the lower joint on the strut to the rear of the carrier.

Also I didn’t even need the spring compressors at all on the rear, removal or install.

Other than those notes, pretty much the same as my original DIY! Hopefully it’s continuing to help people.

Last edited by board57796; 09-10-2022 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1