08-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #39
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberbic View Post
Figured I should do a DIY for Spark plugs and coils since I completed the job yesterday. Didn't take very many pictures but it was a very easy job.

Step 1:Removing DMEs and bracket.

Remove the plastic engine cover on top to expose the DMEs as well as their bracket that goes over where the downpipes are.

Pull on the DMEs as each is held in by 4 rubber holders(2 up top 2 at bottom) similar to those on the actual engine cover. Once these are off you can undo the grounds on the bracket, this can be done with a 10MM socket(driver's side is towards the front, passenger side is towards the back. near the firewall.

Undo the coolant reservoir with 1 Torx screw and undo it from it's rubber holder on the bracket.

Once that is done you can access 4 torx screws that hold the bracket in place(just look under where the DMEs were and you'll see 2 openings on each side). Undo the coolant reservoir(passenger side) with 1 Torx screw and undo it from it's rubber holder on the bracket. Undo those and unclip the O2 wires from the bracket and gently lift it out.

Now that you have extra room, you can unplug all the connectors from the DMEs (DO NOT DISCONNECT HOSES). The connectors will pull out one by one and you should start with the one that requires you to pull towards the top of the DME to undo them. Be careful as there are holders for the harnesses at the bottom that you do have to unclip to seperate the harness from the DMEs. Once you seperate them, simply put the DMEs towards the front of the engine.

Once you have done these steps you should have easy access to the rear 3 banks on the passenger side and easy access to the rear 2 on driver's side. The third one is kind of blocked by a little reservoir looking thing, didn't really look at what it was. If you undo one of the 10MM Nuts that I highlighted in light blue, you can move it around a little bit and get better access to it.

Step 2: Removing Air Boxes
This is probably the easiest part of the whole process. Unplug the MAF sensors on each airbox then go to the outside and undo the torx screw holding each one in place. Loosen the hose clamps at the top and lift up and out. Make sure that they disconnect from the intake ducts towards the front of the car or you'll have to take them off and reposition them correctly when reassembling the car.

You should now see the 4th coil on both sides behind a bunch of wires. (hardest coil to get to IMO)

Step 3: Change out plugs/coils

Pull up on the little tab on the coil and you'll notice the connector come undone. Unplug completely and stick your finger through the hole on the coil tab and yank it out.

For the actual spark plugs, you will need a special socket specific to the plugs and at least a 6in extender. I used a 6in on most but did add on an extra 4in extender for certain plugs.

I replaced each one at a time and you have to double check to make sure you connect the coils all the way when plugging the connectors back in. You should also push the coils all the way into make sure everything is sealed tight before reassembly (always good to double check because I didn't connect 1 coil all the way and the car started misfiring after I reassembled everything so I had to go through the process twice.)

Step 4:

Reassemble everything and make sure you check all your connections on Coils, DMEs, and MAF plugs. Don't be a moron like me and miss something easy like making sure a connector goes all the way in.

Overall, the first time I did it it took about 3 hours total, second time I had it all in and out within an hour and half.
Step 1, disconnect the battery.
Appreciate 0