07-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Nothing worse than pulling out of a busy parking lot and hearing honks. Am in someone's way or are people just (un)locking their cars?

It's the first thing i disable on any of my cars, if horn is used. Should be illegal along using the honks in radio commercials...
Ha ha ...we think similarly in this regard. I too, find car manufacturers that use the car’s horn for audible alerts for lock/unlock annoying because upon hearing the horn honking...you’re unsure if someone is honking to get your attention for various reasons.

In the same bucket of annoyance (for me) is the use of “common” doorbell sounds (is someone at my door or was that the TV?) & T-Mobile commercials (is that my cell phone?) in commercials. Also the cars that have automatic headlights that shut off minutes after the driver leaves the car. I’m never sure if the driver has accidentally left their headlights on or if they have timed lights. Especially if the driver is elderly...I would hate to have noticed it and not been kind enough to say something so that they won’t be coming back to a car that may not start because they ran the battery down. I know I would hope someone told me if they saw that I left my headlights on.

That is the reason I like the way BMW designed the pathway lights...you initiate them when you need them...like in a dark parking lot, drive, or street when you actually need them. And not automatically in a well illuminated place.

BTW, the last time I can remember where a BMW in the US market used its horn to indicate lock/unlock...was the 1995 e38. Starting with the 1996 model year...the alarm siren has been the audible sound generator for the lock/unlock & arm/disarm alert...at least for anything from the 5 series and larger vehicles.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0