Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2001 Honda NSX  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wow... Someone is in a bad mood. Your reply is quite harsh considering you don't even know who you're replying to. Have you ever experienced fading on a track before?

I've been to most track on the west coast and been to Nurburgring. My experience with all my M cars are great but the brakes always fade on the track. I even faded them at BMW CCA autoxs... Good for you if your M performs better and brakes are fade free.

Please think twice before you start lecturing someone on physics. Plenty of engineers on this forum. You never know when you'll run into someone with a degree in Engineering on this forum

Fact is BMW cheap out on a 110k car (Costs much more in Europe and double in Asia). Or purposely doing this so people can upgrade to their BMW performance parts. Don't you think?

Oh and I happen to be supplying investment casting component to "much more" Porsche, BMW and VW but unfortunately no Kia. Kia can make a equally priced 135i like car if they want. But would you spend that much on a Kia? Don't know why you think Kia is much less than European cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Why can't BMW do what right? Please the morons who think their big brake kit is giving them some kind of performance advantage on the street? Every BMW I have ever driven has had superb brakes, in terms of stopping power, resistance to fade (except our E90 M3, that thing needs cooling ducts) and feel through the pedal. There are few other companies with brakes as good as BMW.

The reason the rear brakes are small is because the majority of brake force goes to the front of the car, the size of the caliper has little to do with stopping power and a lot to do with heat dissipation. A brake caliper acts like a heat sink, so a bigger one is more resistant to fade, but you can't just stick 8 piston calipers on every car, if it doesn't need to dissipate that much heat you're just adding unnecessary unsprung weight which slows the car down and ruins its ride quality. Having extra unsprung weight even makes a car more jumpy over rough roads.

The next time you think you know better than the engineers at Kia, much less BMW, consider pulling your head out of your ass.

Last edited by Envyscorpio; 02-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: My reply was too personal.
Appreciate 0