06-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #47
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
The VQ motor was introduced in the 1995 maxima with a 3.0 liter. The 370z runs the 3.7l version of it. How has the 370z change in over a decade for them to justify a 50 grand price tag ?
You're right, the engine is that old, I thought the passage in question was about the engine and the chassis being that old, not just the engine. That's my bad.

However, calling the 370Z a 50 grand car kind of illustrates my point about the car being treated a bit unfairly by enthusiasts. Everyone knows a Mustang GT costs about $35K. But if you throw enough options at it, you can actually get the price of a GT above $60K, and yet nobody is sitting here telling people the Mustang GT costs $60K. The 370Z starts at $30K. It essentially has the same engine and transmission as the Nismo. Why do we talk about 370Z pricing based on the maximum amount the car costs, while every single other car gets judged on its base price?

I'm not even saying its a good buy at $30K mind you, i'm just saying its ended up on the wrong side of a certain amount of hyperbole that resides within the enthusiast community.
Appreciate 0