View Single Post
      03-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Idea to protect myself buying a used M6

I've had the M6 bug for a while (basically ever since I drove one) and I'm getting closer to buying one.

I can buy it from a BMW dealer and pay a huge premium, or I can buy one from Carvana for slightly less - the advantage with the latter is that you have 7 days to return it. Or I could really be brave and buy one at Manheim (I know a guy...) at wholesale and hopefully come out ahead financially, albeit without any return or even a test drive possibility.

I've owned many BMWs, so I know all about repair costs and unexpected failures. The scary part of a used M car is you don't how much it's been abused or pampered, and these engine failures can be expensive. So I thought, buy the Carvana car, Fedex the oil sample to Blackstone, and if it comes back with any bad signs, take it back for a refund (the car, not the oil).

Presumably they change the oil before they sell the car, so I don't know how accurate the report would be, and it gives me a very small window of opportunity. I am not a fan of extended warranties, so although it's an option as well, it's not one that I particularly want to pursue. I'm sure it's expensive on a F13.

And note that I'm not picking on the M6, as BMW V8 models in the past 8 years have all been somewhat problematic, and the S63 actually less so than the N63.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0