11-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #20
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasiakos View Post
Ok so what do I need to do exactly to avoid problems. Wrap the down pipes and a proper tune? Sounds very doable. I was thinking the VF Engineering that another member referred to. I'm guessing a stage two.
I am not gonna pretend to be the all know authority on this but I know what I have seen and a few other owners of BMW's wit these hot-v M cars.

Heat management and lubrication. The oem down pipes are dual walled which help with heat insulation to the rear two cylinders. You need to understand how oil thins as it becomes hotter and thermally degenerates to the point that it can no longer cal cool and lubricate.

I am enamored with the design of the hot-v engine it is truly amazing but with great power comes great responsibility. More time than not even the most well-intentioned efforts won't stop what lies in wait.

My advice, don't get greedy with power, watch the heat, be more than overly generous with oil changes and I sincerely implore you to find a reputable indy bmw shop and have them do the rod bearings before you head down this path. Don't use the factory bearings.

An experienced indy shop will know that the factory bearings are not gonna cut it and like a doctors visit if you discuss your goals with them they will provide you with a plan to get there.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0