View Single Post
      08-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #240
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
For the beginners take it easy! Please listen to this advice if your new. Over 90% of runners get injured there first year by making running mistakes. Few tips if your starting out.

- 80% is diet and only 20% is working out. Just because you ran 3 miles doesn't mean you can eat everything. You will still not lose weight. Remember it's only burning about 100 calories a mile. 300 calories can be erased by a candy bar.
- Running doesn't feel great at the beginning. Take it 1 - 2 miles a day and add some body strength exercises.
- Day 1-2 days a rest at the beginning. And only increase weekly mileage by no more that 10% per week. So if you run 20 miles in a week only run 22 the next and so on.
- Most running injuries are because runners skip on strength training. Do 1 - 2 days a week of some light weights for 30 minutes.
- I run 70+ miles a week now and I will tell you beginner or not mile 1 always sucks and feels horrible. It's not just you. Take it easy always on mile 1 let the body wake up.
- Avoid static stretching. Science has finally come out that it's not good. Think about your "warm up" is to pull on cold muscles!! Always stretch after a run. Before keep it to a moving warm up.
- Last rule, if it's 85 and below you don't need a gallon of water. You will be fine! If the weather is nice and not crazy hot you can go for almost 90 minutes without anything. Don't think you need water for a 30 minute workout. Focus on the run.

Hope that helps and always reach out if you all need any advice.
This is wonderful advice and more or less what I've been following since I stated running back in May 2020. I'm currently at about 20 miles per week, but I'm in the best shape of my life.

The one thing I'd add to this excellent list is that nutrition really does matter before and after your run IMHO. If it's just a 5k jog, maybe not so much, but I found out as I increased my distance, this was really holding me back. My workouts just weren't as good as they could be. I was always good about hydrating before, but now I really look at my carbs and protein intake before and after what runs. I live in SC, so it was critical for me to bring water along (I just bring those hand held flasks), even if it's just a 45 mins run. Once I started those doing those 2 things, my training has gotten much better and I'm back to losing weight again after being on a plateau (lost 20+ lbs since I started running).

Also a good nights sleep. What I found interesting is that once I really started taking running more seriously, it doesn't feel like a chore and everything else like nutrition and rest followed afterwards. Now there's many more good habits, although I still enjoy a nice (unhealthy) meal every now and again.

May I ask what a moving warm up entails?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0