04-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

1x vs 2x for road bike

Hi All,

I'm looking at grabbing a casual road bike (as opposed to my two dedicated roadies) for quick jaunts or local cruising. Basically I want a bike that I can jump on wearing shorts, tee shirt, and sandals and pedal around the 'hood for 30 minutes or so. Or maybe haul up to the local bike trail for an easy ride with friends. I originally wanted a Trek FX 4 Disc with a 1x11 drive train, but it's backordered and the LBS says I'll be lucky to see it by August if ever. However, they have an FX 3 Disc in my size in stock that I could buy now. The two bikes are essentially identical except for the drive trains. The FX 4 has a 42T sprocket up front and an 11x51 (11-speed) in the rear. The FX 3 has a 46/30 up front and an 11x36 (9-speed) in the rear. My only reason for the 1x was the simplicity of it plus the somewhat cleaner appearance. But I'm not sure those reasons outweigh the issue of waiting months or longer for the 1x. Any thoughts on 1x11 as opposed to a standard 2x9? I have one riding friend who has a 1x11 gravel rig and hates it. He thinks I should go with the 2x9. I'm starting to lean that way.
Attached Images

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0