09-23-2021, 05:35 AM   #53
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yeah like i said, each to his own but I see comments that a new car, especially leased, is cheaper than an old one due to repairs. It's simply not sans catastrophic engine failure really.
The only way to judge the economics of owning (i.e. using) a car is the cost-per-mile. Cost per-month, cost per-year, is irrelevant. It is the total dollars you paid to buy the car and operate it. The operational costs are fuel, maintenance and repair. The longer you own the car and amortize the purchase price* of the total miles driven is better economically. People who own a car for 2 - 3 years then trade in for a new car pay over $1.00 per mile. People like me who keep their cars for decades and drive them to hundreds of thousands of miles pay less than $0.50 per mile. Measuring the cost per-mile is the only metric that is standard across any car brand, car type, and drivetrain. Most people do not understand how much they pay per mile to drive their car. Most people don't keep the cost records to make an evaluation.

* purchase price is the price of the car when purchased minus the price of the car when you sell it, or get paid by the insurance company if it is totaled.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Mavus2031.00