Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Your condescending response triggered my "insults", so maybe you should take a less "I know everything approach" in your responses

And in regards to what you're saying, if octane didn't matter, manufacturers wouldn't say the recommended octane for the vehicle on the gas cap, owners manual and other literature for the car.

Nowhere in any of my responses did I say it would destroy the engine, actually said it WONT.

Furthermore, if you look at what I said in my original post, my whole point was why buy a high horsepower car when you don't "use it". Maybe YOU don't use it, but there are plenty who do. Posting that running 87 is perfectly fine is not providing good, quality information. It's a false narrative you provide because it's how YOU justify being cheap on saving pennies on gas. I promise you people will read what you say, go fill with 87 and complain about subpar performance. And yes, the computer will save any major damage to the engine but I'd be willing to bet running lower octane for extended periods of time while pushing it hard, may cause misfires, plug issues etc. You assumed I don't know the difference between octane levels, because I don't agree with running lower octane. You got triggered by my opinion on the matter and put words in my mouth.

If I offended you or anyone, that was not my intention. Providing the correct information on a forum of which lots of people rely on, including myself, is what's important. So, I apologize for throwing insults. One shouldn't make assumptions on another knowledge either. It's a good way to cause these types of posts. While I don't have engineering background, I've helped several on this very forum, fix and maintain their vehicles.
I'm just trying to help as well. I've had too many science discussions about COVID-19 with people who have no science background over the last few weeks, so my advocacy for facts has been on full throttle!

Manufacturers recommend higher octane so they can achieve the higher performance #'s, simple as that. Interestingly, many of the lower HP, smaller engines actually have an even higher compression ratio than the S63. So you'd think the cheapo cars would have issues when people use 87 octane. The reality is, they do just the same from a longevity standpoint (totally agree that power and mpg are lower).

My main point is simple, octane does not equal quality. Nothing wrong with 87 or 89 or 91 or 93 octane when it comes to engine longevity (I've been filling 87 for years in over 50 cars...no issues). The only reason I use 93 in my exotics is because I want full power all the time when I drive them! What is important is the quality of the gas station and their gas. Give me a 87 octane from Top Tier Gas all day over 93 octane from some random gas station.
Your probably right. I've already burnt off most of the gas and the car seems fine. What a relief!
Appreciate 0