View Single Post
      03-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you use the part database sites “creatively”...you can easily figure out which part number you need to search for.

Multiple BMW models use the same oil filter...so click on the 11 digit BMW part nbr for the oil filter you require. Then look at the list of BMW models with the same/similar engine and do some multiple clicking on those models to see which ones use the same diagram but will have item #3 & #4 NOT grayed out. That will be the oil filter cap with the removable drain bolt.

If memory serves me correct...I believe it was the N63 engines that had the drain in the oil filter cap. And since the n63 and n63tu uses the same oil filter...the cap is the same size...only difference is the drain plug was removed from the N63TU (is it the same way on the S63TU?). Switching the oil filter cap was something I considered after I first got my 2013 650ix and saw that the cap didn’t have the drain and was concerned how messy it was going to be to do the first oil change. My 06 X5 4.4 with the N62 engine has a drain in the oil filter cap...so I was familiar with draining the filter first.

And if you do switch caps...you get to use the extra small O-ring that comes with the filter kit if you have the TU engine.

EDIT: haven’t found the 11 digit BMW part number for the cap with the drain...but the drainless oil filter cap started with FEB/2011 build date-up. Seems like the part databases have been updated and seem to only offer the drainless oil filter caps, now.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-15-2020 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50