View Single Post
      05-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #10728
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Did you shoot any birds while in CR? I'm thinking about a trip there to focus on hummingbirds.

I hope that the monkeys don't throw things at you.

Dave
If you want to shoot birds of any kind, there are few places better than Coata Rica for it's diversity, micro climates and shear number of species that can be found within a 2 - 3 hour drive of almost anywhere in Costa Rica.

I took a few photos of birds, but not as many as I would have liked to. I traveled light with a f/4 70-200MM, f/2.8 90mm Macro (on the camera most of the time), and a f/2 25mm for landscape. Besides the Black Vulture, I took some successful photos of a Great Kiskadee, Hoffman’s Woodpecker, Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks, and surprisingly (or not), a Great-tailed Grackle!

Of course some not so successful photos of a White-throated magpie-jay, Blue-crowned Motmot, Ani and many others! Probably the most interesting bird I saw, standing along the road while driving to a town for dinner, a Crested Caracara. Then there was the Great Curassow, or Costa Rica Turkey - - - who knew?

Fortunately, these weren't throwing monkeys! During the day, they were usually resting in two tall trees. If you didn't know they were there, you would probably miss them. If however you lingered a little too long (like when taking some photo's), they would begin to pee and poop, showing their displeasure and getting you moving again.
Appreciate 0